Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Don't look to a doctor for understanding

Don't look to a doctor for understanding

These are certainly the kind of doctors that I would want when I'm getting bad news.

The study found that few of the doctors studied (mostly oncologists at a VA hospital) offer empathetic feedback to patients even when giving them terrible news such as diagnosis of terminal illnesses. Now, as you will see, there are a small number of participants and this is only at ONE hospital AND it's a government hospital (not normally renowned for customer service); however, if this is only a small indication of the field, it is scary and sad. Treatment should be informed by science and guided by conscience. Call it the golden rule of medicine, "treat others as you would like to be treated."

2 comments:

Grace said...

True. But at the same time doctors go through numerous experiences like this. They have to be somewhat insensitive to stay sane I think.

Dan said...

Hi Grace. Good to see you here. I look forward to more recipes :)

Certainly that's true, but doctors should never lose sight of the fact that a day at work for them could be life and death to a patient. However, I see your point. It would be maddening to be invested in each patient, particularly, in departments with large numbers of terminal patients.

This is a question for medical educators. Is this part of an ethics education? Bedside manner? Are detached doctors more or less effective? Does the medical profession recruit these personalities or are they created?