Sunday, July 23, 2006

NPR : Americans Mistake Overwork for Good Work

Do you work hard or do you work smart?

I have observed many people who worked 12 hours a day, but really did 4 hours of real work. These are usually the most worthless people in the office, though they put in the most time.

How do we manage/work better instead of longer?

----------------------------------
1) Click on the link above
2) Read the brief introduction to the listening piece
3) Click on the "Listen" button to listen to this piece

1 comment:

Dan said...

I have no doubt about that. However, I just don't think it is the reality on the streets. We often say that people work better/smarter when they get enough sleep and vacation time.

The problem is that this isn't necessarily true. Many people perform at high levels for long periods of time under great stress. In fact, it seems to be the only thing motivating them.

In this scenario, then, managers are doing well in keeping them busy and productive.

I understand that these types of people may be in the minority, but management is always being asked to do more with less and getting every last ounce of work out of their employees is one way to do this.