Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Most Koreans Would Choose Rebirt Elsewhere: Poll

First, I have to say that this tidbit of information does not link us to the poll itself, nor does it describe the content of the poll precisely. Most importantly, we don't know who is frequenting the "Digital Inside" portal. Is this is fair representation of Koreans?

If accurate, this is quite a distubing bit of information. It shows a certain level of self-loathing in the population. This likley goes beyond the issues that they describe (schooling and military service). I don't know if those aspects are enough to make people regret that they were born in Korea.

Do you think that this survey is valid? If not, is there a bit of truth in the findings? If so, why do you think this is?

1 comment:

Dan said...

I suppose that I can agree with you, but at the same time it still is a little unnerving to see a poll like this.

To tell you the true, I couldn't even think of being "reborn" in another country. I'd choose the U.S. Obviously, there are issues of privilege associated with citizenship in a country of power in the world. However there are also perils, primarily social challenges.

All in all, though, I would have to say that I'd want to be reborn in the states.

With this mindset, I can't imagine someone not wanting to be reborn in Korea (other countries, yes). It's a free society with a high standard of living and not to mention, at least for Koreans, it's what they were born and raised in.

Lastly, I'd love to hear your opinion on the slant of the newspaper. I'll get that when we meet :)

Dan