Sunday, January 14, 2007

Worsening Unemployment

This is our topic for Tuesday (1-16-2007).

The country’s jobless rate for the young recorded its highest level in seven years as companies remained reluctant to hire new workers. The unemployment rate for those aged between 15-29 stood at 8.0 percent in October, up from 7.2 percent in September, and is the highest figure since 1999. On Tuesday I want us to talk about this topic and to look for some solution to this problem.

1. Do you have any some stress about getting a job? Have you seen others struggling with this problem?



2. People are not likely to choose majors in the natural sciences, engineering, or humanities, because there are few job prospects. However, majors in the medical field and elementary education seeing a rise in enrollments. What do you think about this phenomena?

3. How can we get out of this jobless situation?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

it's for Tuesday~~~ not Monday~~~^^

Dan said...

Sorry. I fixed it.

Dan

Dan said...

I think that the problem here is similar to the problem in the states. These jobs might be plentiful, but they really don't pay the bills. So many jobs in Korea don't even pay a living wage. I understand that many young Koreans live at home and that they might not "need" to make as much. However, combine this poor pay, lack of advancement potential, and the Korean cultural tendency to hire young or not at all and you have a recipe for career disaster.

Dan